Wednesday 26 June 2013

I don’t want to go to School


June came and so started a new academic year. For Panshul however, everything was new – new class, new people, new schedule, new bag, new water bottle, new tiffin box, some new concepts (ID card) because PANSHUL WAS GOING TO A NEW SCHOOL. AGAIN!

Yes, this is the fourth school that Panshul is attending in two years. Why did that happen? Well, simply because he’d go to a school and either he would not get adjusted there and so I’ d stop sending him or we’d move house and so Panshul would have to change schools.

Well this year I decided it would be the end of constant school changes and moving. Having decided that, I chose Euro Kids pre-school for Panshul simply because this school was located just a few houses away from my house.   

After orientation session and welcome day class, the school finally opened formally about a fortnight ago. And with that started Panshul’s anxiety, fear and insecurity at having to leave me behind and be all alone (all the teachers, helpers, and other kids; however sweet and kind they may be, they were not his AMMA – so he detested them) in that big building called school.

This meant that every day I had to find new ways and means to get him to school. I had to tell and do convincing (and trust me, convincing a want-to know-it-all toddler is not easy) things in order to make going to school interesting.

Here’s a list of things that I tried over the days and failed:

Changed our walk-to-school route so that I could show him something interesting (a new flower, a Nano car, a broken auto rickshaw) and somehow get his mind off school.
Result when I turned at the cross where his school was located, he was adamant that we go further and leave the school behind. He pulled and begged me to take him away. I picked him up, he slid down and ran away. I and the school’s watchman had to run after him to catch him! My heart broke seeing him in such agony!

Downloaded e-books and rhymes about going to school – Llama, Llama Missing Mama, The Kissing Hand, My First Day In School etc.
Result Panna loved watching the rhymes, but the stories bored him. I am clueless now.

Played with him the entire morning till it was time for school at 11:30 am.
Result – he wouldn’t stop playing till the last minute and coaxing and forcing him to come take a bath became a herculean task. I am at my wits ends.

Spoke to him about why he needs to go to school (so that he can become a big boy and ride his dad’s bike!) and how much fun school is and ASSURED and REASSURED him repeatedly that I’ll be back to pick him up after school gets over.
Resultall the talking was effective only at home. Though he seemed fine and understood every word that I told him, it all went sliding down his cheeks as tears when the school gate approached and I had to leave him! Heartbreak again. Seriously, why do kids have to go to school!?

Made simple crafts (bracelet, clock etc) for him to take to school.
Result this kind of worked. Since Panna loved ‘doing things’ he joined me in making the crafts. This kept him occupied and made his mornings interesting and fun. Yet, Panna cried when I left him at the school gate and the next day he was not interested in any craft making.  Ok, now what?

Acted Silly to the core. Every time he whines and makes a sad face and tells me, “Amma, I don’t want to go to school”, I jump up and down like a clown. That has Panna in splits and giggles.  This way he whole thought about going to school kind of becomes funny. In fact, I had read about getting the kids with anxiety about going to school to giggle and laugh out their anxiety. But I didn’t expect it to work for me. Well I guess it is working.
Result this is my current strategy. It’s been working for the past two days, let’s see how it progresses. Yay! Panna didn’t cry when I left him at the school gate! But, the constant jumping and acting clownish is bringing back my lower back pain! Ouch, it hurts! 


4 comments:

  1. Nice. keep it up. For the best data scientist training in hyderabad visit http://rcptec.com/data-scientist-training-in-hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your valuable information
    data science institutes in bangalore

    url:https://socialprachar.com/data-science-training-in-bengaluru/

    ReplyDelete